Total Pageviews

Thursday, July 25, 2013

"common struggle"

de bene esse: literally, of well-being, morally acceptable but subject to future validation or exception

 
"...we have a lot more work to do in our common struggle against bigotry and discrimination.

I say "common struggle" because I believe very strongly that all forms of bigotry and discrimination are equally wrong and should be opposed by right-thinking Americans everywhere. Freedom from discrimination based on sexual orientation is surely a fundamental human right in any great democracy, as much as freedom from racial, religious, gender, or ethnic discrimination.

My husband, Martin Luther King Jr., once said, "We are all tied together in a single garment of destiny... an inescapable network of mutuality,... I can never be what I ought to be until you are allowed to be what you ought to be." Therefore, I appeal to everyone who believes in Martin Luther King Jr.'s dream to make room at the table of brotherhood and sisterhood for lesbian and gay people..."

Atlanta, Georgia, 9 November 2000

- Coretta Scott King, Human Rights activist and widow of Martin Luther King

No comments: