In the year 1875, a certain Mrs. Elizabeth McMaster made an elementary deduction: given that over the previous 50 years almost half of recorded deaths in Toronto were those of children under 10, something had to be done. Compassionate of heart and clear of eye, Mrs. McMaster (in concert with a group of equally forward-thinking women) opened a hospital on rented premises 'for the admission and treatment of all sick children', regardless of their financial condition. Strength of character, conviction and six iron cots formed the foundation of the noble enterprise that was to become The Hospital for Sick Children.
A genuine metropolis – as bustling Toronto was fast becoming – was in need of a more suitable children's hospital. With John Ross Robertson, publisher of the Evening Telegram at the helm of the Hospital's Board of Trustees, the Hospital assumed a new premises: an airy, four-storey edifice on College St with room for 320 beds, designed on the most up-to-date principles for the promotion of health. continue timeline