Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 25, 2013

The Worst #1 Hits of the 1970s

de bene esse: literally, of well-being, morally acceptable but subject to future validation or exception

The author (Robert of the Radish) received 1,300+ comments on his list "The Worst #1 Hits of the 1980s". Most who commented were livid that he included Foreigner, Poison or Milli Vanilli as "the worst".

The songs I listed are shining examples of super-schlock, and are the reason no one should take the charts seriously. So while the masses are ready to lynch me for daring to have the opinion that "Mickey" by Toni Basil may not be the best representation of 80's music, I thought I would continue my assault on the mainstream by backing up a decade.

I will be the first to admit that the 70s were a decade when great songs still had a good chance of making it to #1 on the charts, but a lot of novelty, cheese and outright bad music still rose to the top. For this playlist I looked at all the #1 songs for each year of the 1970s, then I selected what I feel is the worst #1 song from each year. The playlist is not ordered by "badness", but rather chronologically, starting with 1970 and ending with 1979 for a total of 10 songs (you may need to scroll in the Spotify widget to see them all).

1976 was the most difficult to decide. How can one choose the "worst" in a competition between "Convoy" and "Disco Duck"? Yep, that was a tough one, but in the end I went with "Convoy" simply because "Disco Duck" was not available for streaming.

Don't agree with me? Let me know what your worst #1 song for each year of the 1970s would be. And remember the selections have nothing to do with the release date, but rather the date the song reached #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart.

The Worst Ten #1 Hits of the 1970s
Follow what Robert is listening to, or suggest a playlist on Twitter !

No comments: